"The tragic reality is that very few sustainable systems are designed or applied by those who hold power, and the reason for this is obvious and simple: to let people arrange their own food, energy and shelter is to lose economic and political control over them. We should cease to look to power structures, hierarchical systems, or governments to help us, and devise ways to help ourselves." - Bill Mollison

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Spring Thyme

Like the proverbial groundhog a few of my favorite herbs are poking their heads up in search of spring. Common garden thyme along with it's flavorful cousin lemon thyme have shown themselves just as we finished using the last of the dried herb to make an anti fungal spray for our seedlings. Normally we use a mixture of chamomile and cinnamon but are trying thyme this year thanks to a tip from Dan and Val over at Grunt And Grungy's Garden.


Thyme is a cherished seasoning for us and is used right along with the still hidden savory in many soup and bean dishes.

The oregano has been unmasked from a vale of snow and is ready to adorn this weeks pizza...if we take heart. We are most fond of using this herb in various tomato sauces as it goes hand in hand with basil in everything from bruschetta to our version of Spanish rice.

Sage is also struggling to reclaim it's days of glory in the garden. Not only is it loved by us but it provides a communal gathering place for countless beneficial insects that hover over the profusion of purplish flowers it sends up every summer.


Lastly, I noticed wild sorrel has managed to arrive unscathed into yet another season. Along with it's more refined brethren, red veined and french sorrel, it not only adds a certain pizazz to our salads but is a potent source of nutrients.


Dried herbs definitely help carry us through the winter, and many people find them to be much more accommodating.


I prefer the quality of freshness over ease any day...well hello savory. Now if I could just find rosemary.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for garden herbs! Can spring be far behind?

Yes, fresh is always best...but I too dry my own -- just enough for the winter's use. I find home-dried garden herbs (used within a few months) so far outshine store-bought dried herbs, they aren't really comparible.

I too am a big fan of savory, especially as you say, in bean dishes. A much undervalued herb I think.

Thanks for another fine post. Think Spring!

Mr. H. said...

Greetings Deborah,

Savory has a most wonderful flavor and I am also surprised that it is not more well known.

Thoughts of spring filled my mind today as I was planting onion seeds from Baker Creek...Yellow of Parma and Juan Paille Des Verteus, both new to me. Anyway, as I was planting there was a terrific snowstorm blowing outside...believe me, spring is on my mind.

Mike

Chiot's Run said...

Thyme is my favorite. I don't think mine is coming up quite yet. The woolley thyme looks great though.

Mr. H. said...

Chiot's Run,

My herbs do not look so well today as they are buried under a foot of snow ...Woolley thyme sounds interesting.

Thinking of spring,

Mike

Related Posts with Thumbnails